Since I am back teaching in public school I have had an opportunity to think about my decision to teach art again. I have had several people ask me why I teach art. So here is a short list of my reasons. I would love to hear from other art teachers around the world to get their input. So, if you know an art teacher, please let them know about this post.
Why I Teach Art
- I absolutely love the process of creating artwork. Being around that process on a daily basis is inspiring.
- I enjoy not having the pressure of teaching a core course where students are required to take the TAKS test or end of course exam.
- I get excited when my students get into a project and lose all track of time.
- It feels wonderful when my students gain self confidence through the artistic process.
- Art class can be a little more casual than core classes. I am able to let students create projects that evolve through their own creativity.
- I get to decorate my classroom with beautiful student art work.
- I get to share my love for art. Knowing that some of my students have developed that same love and want to continue their education in an art career makes the years teaching art worthwhile.
- I get to meet other art teachers and learn inspiring teaching methods from them.
- I enjoy being able to teach without written tests. This makes my special education students have a better rate of classroom success.
- Getting paid to do something you love is a bonus!
I could go on and on with this list, but I want to hear from you. So, I am calling on all art teachers to share.