Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you!
Happy Birthday, My Creativity Blog! Happy Birthday to you!
Wow! My Creativity Blog is ONE YEAR OLD today! I am very excited that the blog has reached this milestone. A few times I had my doubts. When I realized this birthday was coming up, I started thinking about the past year and what I have learned by publishing this blog.
First of all, I had no idea what a blog was or how one went about writing one. I jumped in, sink or swim. Some how I didn’t sink. I learned about blogging through trial and error. I managed to keep the blog running smoothly with occasional technical support from GKG.net and the troubleshooting forum on WordPress. Thanks guys!
Here are some of the things I learned to do during this year of blogging:
- How to set up a blog through the cpanel of my site. I even helped my daughter and grandson start their own blogs, Texas Homesteader and Cross Creek Horsemanship.
- How to use a WordPress theme and upload photographs to the blog.
- How to submit an article to a blog carnival. (Of course, I had to figure out what a blog carnival was to start with.)
- How to set up a RSS Feed.
- How to get affiliate status with Google, Amazon, etc.
- How to post HTML widgits for my blog.
- How to upload a video to You Tube and embed it into an article. Click here for my You Tube channel.
- How to set up a statistics account with Statcounter.com.
- How to delete spam. I am getting tons of spam from Russia? I don’t get it. Don’t people have better things to do? Thank goodness WordPress has plugins to take care of the spam for you.
- How to send tweets about my blog.
- How to use Facebook to keep my friends and family informed about my articles.
76% of the traffic to my blog has been from the United States. 5% comes from Canada, 2% from the United Kingdom and the rest has come from various countries such as Australia, India, Portugal, Qatar, South Korea, Brazil, Viet Nam, etc.
120 articles were posted to the blog during the year. I wrote 115 articles and my daughter, Lara DeHaven, wrote five. The most popular article was How to Make Display Panels for a School Art Show. The number two article was Creative Ways to Use Bamboo and the 3rd most read article was Sketchbook Ideas for Children.
I went from writing on a haphazard basis to writing three articles a week. Articles are posted on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Fridays have become the day I post a Creativity Devotional, including a photograph, quote, thought and prayer.
This year has been a year of travel. I went to Texas twice this year. We traveled to Thailand on vacation for three exciting weeks and also got to go see friends on the island of Molokai. Plus, My husband and I moved from the Big Island of Hawaii to Oregon. That is a lot of miles! My readers have been privy to some of that travel through my articles, photographs, and videos.
I want to take this time to say “Thank You!” to all my readers, especially my subscribers. I appreciate you and all your kind comments. I hope that this blog has been of service. My goal is to continue writing quality articles that inspire creativity. If there is something you would like me to write about, please let me know. I feel blessed to have had this blogging experience. Thanks for sharing this day with me. Keep coming back!